“By retreating into ourselves, it looks as if we are the enemies of others, but our solitary moments are in reality a homage to the richness of social existence. Unless we’ve had time alone, we can’t be who we would like to be around our fellow humans. We won’t have original opinions. We won’t have lively and authentic perspectives. We’ll be – in the wrong way – a bit like everyone else.”
“Belief, as I use the word here, is the insistence that the truth is what one would ‘lief’ or wish it to be. The believer will open his mind to the truth on condition that it fits in with his preconceived ideas and wishes. Faith, on the other hand, is an unreserved opening of the mind to the truth, whatever it may turn out to be. Faith has no preconceptions; it is a plunge into the unknown. Belief clings, but faith lets go.”
– Do your Apple Earphones not fit? Try EarBuddyz.
– The 100 best nonfiction books of all time: the full list
– Dieter Rams’s 10 Principles of Good Design get a 21st-century update.
– Shift from saying “I can’t do that” to “I don’t do that”. This is a great read!
– I want to bring my children to the Silly Walks Tunnel.
– This NO FUN sweater made me giggle.
– Obama puts out list of favorite books he read, songs he listened to in 2017
– I love how my friends at oak studio keep a list of things they shipped during the year. Here’s 2017.
– A few years old, still funny: Pizza Compass
– Need motivational reminders, on you, at all times? Here.
“At the end of the day, transparency is truly a positive force. When it does backfire or causes fallout, it’s often because a leader hasn’t often taken the time to consider these two things: Transparency requires context, and transparency is a spectrum.”
How transparent should you be as a leader? by Claire Lew
“Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
“There is a formula for success in business, and it goes like this: You set out to find the very best talent in the marketplace, and then give them a compelling and inspirational vision of what you want them to achieve for you and the company. Then you empower them to achieve those goals using their own skills and talents in any way they choose. If, at the same time, you demonstrate how enormously you value them, not just through compensation, but also verbally, every single day, and if you enable that talent to share in the profit that they help create for you, you’ll be successful. It’s so simple, and virtually nobody does it, because it requires a high-trust working environment, and most business environments are low-trust. In order to own the future of your business, you have to design it around trust.”
– Cindy Gallop
The Most Provocative Woman in the World: Cindy Gallop
Penguin falls down resulting in best sound ever pic.twitter.com/4SoHDqZAD0
— Nature is Amazing (@AMAZlNGNATURE) January 5, 2018
Listen to the sound of the penguin falling. I feel you little penguin. I feel you.
– While I hope I won’t have to move ever again, as I love my home so much, I want to remember this simple moving hack.
– Self-care is so much more than a social media trend — Mister Rogers explains that when we take care of ourselves, we allow ourselves to grow.
– This after school routine hack is pretty impressive.
– “Real relaxation doesn’t come from doing nothing at all if you’re a busy person but from doing something different.” — Alex Pang in a recent Hurry Slowly Episode
– These portraits by Phil Galloway are stunning.
– Two major Apple shareholders push...
“In 2018, how about cultivating an attitude of optimism? Not as a judgement, or a reaction to the world around you, but as a choice, by which you navigate and affect the world around you. In our own experience, the personal benefits of waking up every day and deliberately making that choice are profound.”
“Most importantly, it’s a collective optimism, one that recognises that progress doesn’t happen by magic, but is the result of sustained, committed efforts by millions of people over decades, who keep on showing up and insisting that it’s possible to create a vibrant, life sustaining global society that works for everyone.”
(Thank you Marc)
Is your inbox overflowing with emails you don’t have time for?
SaneBox is the all-in-one solution to email overload. It works with any email client or service, and any device – literally anywhere you check your email. Automatic priority filtering, one-click unsubscribe, follow-up reminders, snooze folders, and much more. Oh, and there’s nothing to download or install! It just works.
Use this coupon: sanebox.com/swissmiss for a free 2-week trial (no CC required) plus an extra $15 towards your subscription!