This past week I had dinner with a friend who had recently returned from Japan. While hearing about her trip, the Japanese concept of Ikigai came up and had stayed on my mind for days. I found it really compelling and couldn’t help but delve into the topic.
Ikigai, pronounced (ee-kee-guy), translates to “One’s Reason for Being.” It is believed that everyone has an Iikigai and discovering it brings satisfaction and meaning to life. The challenge is to find it since it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self.
I invite you to explore whether you have found your meaningful work- your Ikigai- because if you haven’t then you might be working to help someone else achieve theirs.
Not too long ago, I was going through my own career struggle. I was extremely unhappy and disconnected to my work. I only wanted to wake up inspired and enjoy what I do, instead of playing various scenarios in my head telling my manager that I was ready to quit.
I had no clue what would be the best fit for me. I craved a meaningful career, not just a job to get by. I tried testing different options, but as time went by I lost hope that I would ever be able to discover my life’s work.
I was desperate for clarity, but instead, I was getting more and more confused. Later on,...
Vision boards are one of the most powerful success tools that can do wonders to inspire and motivate you, and put you in the right frame of mind. Whether you use them for your business or personal life, creating and using a vision board also adds a bit of fun to your routine, while activating the Law of Attraction and drawing your wants and desires into your life!If you’re ready to get started, here are 7 tips that you’ll find helpful in creating an inspiring vision board. 1. Be Clear About Its Use
Your vision board is going to be a visualization tool, carrying images and words that will drive you to achieve your goals and fulfill your dreams. As such, don’t move forward with your vision board thinking of it as a wish list or a to-do list.
Note that there are different types of vision boards. If you’re very clear about what you want or you want something specific to happen in your business, you can create an ‘I know exactly what I want’ board. An ‘Allowing’ vision board is for visions and goals that you’re not quite sure about, or if you know that circumstantial changes are to be expected. If you’re working on a particular aspect of your life or are focusing on a specific business goal, a ‘Theme’ vision board will be right for you.2. Get the Pre-Work Going
Today I stuffed up big time.
I’ve spent the last five years becoming disciplined and learning every self-improvement hack I could.
I’ve tried very hard not to drink too much alcohol, minimise my sugar intake, reframe from swearing, treat people better, give more to those in need and be an all round good human being.
But today I F*#ked that up. Can you believe it?
Well, you better.
As hard as I try to be successful, there are going to be times when I mess up. Today was the day I was put to the test.
So today we had a function for work, and we went to a secluded island to sit back, relax, and let our hair down. We had to board a ferry to the island and there was a long line of people. Our group was at the front because we had waited for the longest.
When we finally got to the front, a young lady attempted to push in. Without thinking, my friend and I prevented the cue-cutting attempt. What happened next shocked me. This lady then began dishing out all sorts of insults.
She made fun of the way I looked, accused me of being such a low life that I must be single, had a crack at my financial position and everything under the sun. I managed to reframe from overreacting until I let one insult slip.
That insult is what surprised me....
Bodybuilder & popular motivator, CT Fletcher is probably one of the most inspiring people on Youtube. After getting through an open heart surgery, CT was told that he would never lift weights again. He decided to take on the challenge and has become one of the most recognized bodybuilders in the world. Winning several championships and building a huge online following. After years of hard work & obsession, CT Fletcher is definitely someone you should pay attention too.Here are some of CT’s best quotes:
1. “You must become obsessed with obtaining what you are trying to get, you have to be obsessed with it.” – CT Fletcher
2. “I don’t wanna be one of the masses, that’s why I’m here in the gym.” – CT Fletcher
3. “History never remembers the haters.” – CT Fletcher
4. “Some go big, I went enormous. Some set goals, I set milestones! Some climb hills, I climbed mountains! Some want growth, I command growth. Some said it was over, I said f*ck you!” – CT Fletcher
5. “Question impossible.” – CT Fletcher
6. “Pain is necessary, embrace the pain!” – CT Fletcher
7. “If you don’t have the mental capacity to be that obsessed about what you’re trying to get…then motherf***er you ain’t never gonna have it.” – CT Fletcher
8. “You may have been more with more genetic prowess than me, but you will not out-work me…I’m the king of...
I’m all about keeping things simple. The world is much too complex and I find that much like Vince Lombardi, we tend to complicate things. If we just focus on truly mastering the basics, we can achieve whatever we set our hearts and minds to. One of my favorite stories comes from Coach Lombardi’s best-selling book.
“He took nothing for granted. He began a tradition of starting from scratch, assuming that the players were blank slates who carried over no knowledge from the year before… He began with the most elemental statement of all. “Gentlemen,” he said, holding a pigskin in his right hand, “this is a football.”
It is the summer of 1961, and he begins training by introducing a “football” to a bunch of men who had been playing football for years, perhaps well over a decade. Was this Insulting? No, because the players obviously knew what a football was. Nonetheless, from day one Vince Lombardi was teaching them the basics. This was the secret of one of the winningest coaches in the history of football because the basic, fundamental principles never fail.
When you build a wall, the basic element is a single brick. Put enough of them together, in the right pattern and you have your wall. Concert pianists use only eight keys to create the world’s greatest masterpieces. They don’t try to come up with new notes. They work with what they have.
As fortune would...
We’ve all played the game where we try to think of a message we’d put on a metaphorical billboard that costs us nothing.
The point of the exercise is to try and find out what one message you would share with the world that could change the game for all of us.
I racked my brain trying to think of mine. There are so many messages I want to share. Finally, I figured out what mine would be.
The message I would put on a giant billboard is:“The stories you tell yourself come true”
The stories you tell yourself.
The reason I chose this powerful message is that it’s the one thing that has changed the course of my life. When I began telling myself a new story, everything around me appeared differently. I genuinely believe that I am going to change the world in a big way and create positivity.
You have a recurring story running through your own brain that you’re probably unaware of. The story might be one like this:
– Life is hard, so I better relax tonight.
– I need to make more money so life will get easier.
– Why do these disasters always happen to me?
– Why is it so hard to make a living?
– Why can’t I find my passion like everyone else?
These stories are all built on a lie. These stories focus...
Matthew McConaughey is a highly recognized actor, writer, and producer. Maybe best known for his roles in Dallas Buyers Club, True Detective, and many more. He has won multiple Best Actor awards from the Golden Globes, Oscars, Emmys and Academy Awards. In addition to his work in Hollywood, McConaughey has participated in multiple triathlons and teaches some classes at his alma mater UT – Austin. Alltogether, Matthew McConaughey is a household name associated with great acting, motivation, wisdom, and insight into how to become successful.Here are 32 of Matthew McConaughey’s most powerful quotes:
1. “The good part about jealousy is that it comes from passion. It’s also the dangerous part and it’s an ugly emotion that hurts.” – Matthew McConaughey
2. “My life is a road, man. I need to keep moving.” – Matthew McConaughey
3. “There are three things, to my account, that I need each day. One of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward to, and another is someone to chase.” – Matthew McConaughey
4. “Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.” – Matthew McConaughey
5. “The best advice comes from people who don’t give advice.”- Matthew McConaughey
6. “I love having my hands in the dirt. It is never a science and always an art. There are no rules. And if it comes down to me versus that weed I’m trying to...
How often do you set New Year’s resolutions and completely blow them off after a couple of weeks? I know I am guilty of this. There is no motivation to complete them once you get back to the grind of your daily life after the holidays.
However, in 2017, I decided to take a different route to my year. Instead of resolutions, I set intentions for how I wanted to live. I also made a list of the most absurd things I could do in 2017. I believe I got the absurd list idea from Tim Ferriss but I can’t be sure. In completing these two exercises and executing on my intentions and some of my ideas, I had one of the most eventful years of my life.
“Life is perpetual movement. There is nothing fixed.” – Bruce Lee
At the end of 2016, I wrote a few quotes and personal intentions in my journal that I wanted to guide the following year of my life. At the top of the list was a quote by Nietzsche, which reads: “There is one path in the world none can walk but you. Where does it lead? Don’t ask, walk!” Under this, I wrote the intention to live life with an abundant mindset. These two ideas helped to make 2017 one of the most fascinating and eventful years of my life.
For example, the quote by Nietzsche helped remind...
I remember the day in vivid detail. I was on a weekend trip visiting my girlfriend at the time in Arizona. She had decided that we should join her friends to go “cliff jumping.” We were early on in our dating and she obviously had no idea that I was not fond of heights. So “cliffs” and jumping off of them… No thanks!
I inevitably found myself on the edge of a 40-foot cliff peering down at a vast blue canvas of water. Then I realized if I didn’t jump, I’d have to start the walk of shame back down the cliff. This was a lose-lose situation for me.
Fear had me. I didn’t want to jump, but I also didn’t want to look bad in front of my girlfriend’s friends. So I jumped and in that moment, I had defied my brain and my neurochemistry.
Our brains are wired to protect us, not to push us towards our goals. Our brains are wired to look for anything that could be potentially dangerous or threatening and keep us as far away from it as possible by using fear. The problem is not all situations warrant fear.
There is a saying in neuroscience that says, “the brain wires the way it fires”, meaning the more you do a certain activity, the more the brain lays down wiring to make that action or activity easier.
‘Fears are educated into us, and...
Chris Sacca is an investor in major online platforms such as Twitter, Uber, Instagram, and Kickstarter. He owns & operates Lowercase Capital; a venture capital fund. He also a guest shark on the hit TV show Shark Tank appearing alongside other famous entrepreneurs such as Daymond John, Richard Branson, and Mark Cuban.Here are 21 of Chris Sacca’s best quotes:
1. “A great idea can’t succeed without a great operator. But rarely can a great operator squeak by with a bad idea. So, as pithy as it sounds to say ‘It’s all about the people,’ I only invest when I think I have found the right team for the right business.” – Chris Sacca
2. “Ideas are cheap. Execution is everything.” – Chris Sacca
3. “Complexity is hard to build, easy to use, and hard to charge for. Complexity is easy to build, hard to use, and easy to charge for.” – Chris Sacca
4. “Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.” – Chris Sacca
5. “We buy things we don’t really want with money we don’t really have to impress people we don’t really care about. Forget that.” – Chris Sacca
6. “If you learn to live pretty simply and well, well under your means, you feel incredibly, incredibly rich and that frees you up and gives you the option to start something new, to leave the job you’re not excited about, where...
A popular question made famous by a certain 4-Hour Work Week author has been doing the rounds a lot lately. It’s an incredibly powerful question and I want to share with you my answer.
By the way, my answer is not some cheap product placement or a dodgy infomercial in case you were wondering.3 purchases of $100 or Less that changed my life are:
Purchase #1 – A meditation app.
The app called Calm to be more specific. It won Apple’s App Of The Year and it’s helped me chill the F out after tackling every fear I have. We all need to get out of our head more.
Buy a wireless keyboard and use it with your laptop, tablet or phone wherever you are. Every day, aim to write one thing that inspires someone else. Post your written words on a blog (ideally someone else’s who has a large audience).
While you’re at work during the day, observe your surroundings as they are. Single out the positive things you see and share them online for all of us to see. When you type those words on your little wireless keyboard, pour every ounce of emotion you have into them.
Wake up one night, write something inspiring, and feel the tears drip from your eyes as you make yourself emotional because you know you’ve given it everything...
Our personal relationships are very powerful and provide us with a crash course of exponential growth both personally and professionally. You learn an exceptional amount of information about who you are as a person, how you communicate, manage your emotions and discover traits you were blissfully unaware of.
Of course everyone wants to hear the beautiful love story you so often hear from others. Man and woman meet, fall madly in love, get married and live happily ever after. However, as we all know the fairytale ending is no guarantee.
I met a spontaneous, generous, successful and much older businessman and we dated for a short period of time. I was deliriously happy and determined for everything to turn out perfectly. As expected, he had mastered the art of knowing all the right buttons to push and exactly the right words to say.
I can compare this experience to a going for a long drive in the country. I was speeding down the highway of life, aiming to maintain my complete denial of everything happening around me. To the point that I missed every stop sign, damaged the car from all of the potholes I failed to navigate, and I had several minor accidents along the way. You name it, I ignored every single red flag that was saying take a detour, choose a different road and look the other way, keep moving forward yet choose a different direction.
Unfortunately, it all...
This year has taught me so much about life and what it really means. It surprises me how little I know and how much there still is to learn. A truly fulfilled life is only possible when you commit to continuous learning.
Who knows, in a few years I’ll probably look at this article and think to myself how amateur I was at this moment in my life.Here are 41 truths about life I have learned this year:
1. You must love yourself first and talk nicely to yourself. Self-talk changes everything.
2. Minimalism will help accent what you love. Too much stuff will distract you.
3. Forgiveness is power. Holding onto stuff hurts you more than anyone else.
4. Most of the answers you seek are right in front of them. You’ve been ignoring these answers because they seem cliché and obvious. Stop doing this.
5. No one has all the answers
6. The success you see in other people is only 1% of their life. Most of what you can’t see is the negativity and failures they endure. Spend more time going beyond people’s success.
7. Your mind is determining how you feel. If you feel crap, change the inputs of your mind.
8. Happiness is found in the simple stuff. If you’re not happy, you’re trying to overcomplicate it.
9. Being kind to people always feels good.
10. Anyone can be inspiring including you.
11. Business is about rallying people together. It’s not about an idea, or one person, or even coming up with something...
This time of year it’s easy to be overwhelmed by well-meaning advice. Everyone seems to have a solution to your procrastination or a remedy for your lack of motivation. Unfortunately, most advice is either too general or irrelevant because it doesn’t address your main concerns.
I’ve spent the last year trying to hone in on some of the best tips and tricks I’ve learned to stay ahead and maintain a positive mindset.Here are 30 straightforward reminders and tips to help you supercharge your life in 2018: 1. Get the basics right. Take care of your body, your mind and your soul. Make a list of what you know is good for you and what you know is bad for you in each category. Consider ways to reduce the bad and increase the good. 2. Reduce distractions that sap your energy. When you’re planning big changes, it’s easy to get pulled into many different directions. You get excited about a certain idea which pulls you down the rabbit hole into numerous other directions. Focus on one thing at a time. 3. Make a new friend. Start a conversation with a stranger in the elevator. Compliment someone. Provide some positive reinforcement. Do something without expecting anything in return. 4. Smile more. Smiling takes less effort than frowning. It’s also scientifically proven to make you feel better even if you...
Justin Timberlake is probably one of the most recognizable names in the entertainment industry. From his humble origins in Tennessee first making headlines as a member of the popular boyband N’sync, to performing in his second Super Bowl Halftime in 2018. Justin Timberlake has had a long an successful career as an entertainer. Along the way he has learned a lot about himself, following his passions, and what it means to be truly successful.
Here are 33 of Justin Timberlake’s best quotes:
1. “The best part about being alone is that you really don’t have to answer to anybody. You do what you want.” – Justin Timberlake
2. “Everybody has their own path. It’s laid out for you. It’s just up to you to walk it.” – Justin Timberlake
3. “Talent doesn’t always equal success.” – Justin Timberlake
4. “Listen, I’m not cool. Being cool is about keeping your blood pressure steady. So no. Don’t be cool. Be passionate. Be dedicated. Be tenacious. Be uncompromising. Be pissed. Be happy. Be sad.” – Justin Timberlake
5. “True leadership is when you are willing to risk your power and voice so that all of our can be heard.” – Justin Timberlake
6. “You cannot make a difference unless you’re different.” – Justin Timberlake
7. “The best part about being with a group is that you don’t have to do everything alone. You’re with your friends.” – Justin Timberlake
I finally started a business! So many people had asked me when I was going to start one again and for the last five years, I’ve procrastinated. There’s a whole bunch of statistics which I’m not going to recite that suggest that many people (including me) want to start their own business.
Before each of us leaves this world, there’s a very strong chance we will try to start our own business at least once.
I talk to so many wannabe entrepreneurs who have an idea or a passion that they want to turn into a business yet they never take action. It’s been five years since my last business venture. I know what this feeling of wanting to begin a business is like because it’s plagued my thoughts for so long.
I’ve always had that spark in my brain that says “Tim, you love this passion of yours. Go and start a business and earn a living from it!”
I have ignored this bright spark for so long. I’ve made excuses. I’ve procrastinated. I’ve told myself I wasn’t good enough.
Then finally, a couple of months ago, I said to myself “SCREW IT! I’M STARTING MY BUSINESS.”
If you’ve ever had similar thoughts, then I want you by the end of this article to take action once and for all. I am going to give you the exact steps and tips I used to defeat five years of...
If you were born from 1995 through 2012, you are part of a special demographic—Generation Z. Congratulations! You are a very important person. First, you make up the largest percentage of the US population at 25.9 percent. Second, you’re an iGeneration kid, which means people like you write product reviews, click web ads, and build online businesses. In short, you run the Internet show.
Finally, you contribute $44 billion to the American economy. You have great potential, but your Internet addiction and reckless behavior are your biggest roadblocks to success. How do you limit the time you spend on Snapchat, focus on building a career, and break through the bars that block your way to success?Try these five hacks for success: 1. Have a bold vision
Your life is your business. If you’re serious about making it profitable, you’ve got to have a bold vision and work tirelessly to achieve it. Start by redefining yourself. Just because you grew up with Snapchat and YouTube, doesn’t mean you have to use them carelessly. Of course, you can watch the dancing cats on YouTube, but you’ll have to find time for that.
Be a doer, not a chatter, watcher, or browser. Great visionaries are doers, not chatters. If you want success, examine your purpose in life, just like a CEO spends time crafting his company’s mission, then start doing.
A business I loved.
A network of friends that partied hard.
A negative, useless mindset.
A set of rules that I didn’t create.
A routine of daily habits that made no sense.
Saying yes to stuff I didn’t care about.
Giving up stuff gives you focus to work on your goals.
If you want to achieve a big, audacious goal that makes us all sit back in our chairs – that will change the world – you have to learn to give up more. Sounds counter-intuitive but it’s not.
This is not about being a crybaby and giving up as soon as things get a little tough. This is about doing less so you can achieve more. It’s about focusing rather than letting your attention be played with like a set of marbles lying on the floor that have no home to go to and are fun to play with.
It’s about rejecting more and being okay to say “Enough is enough, I’m giving up so I can win more.”
Giving up is not the traditional self-help advice you’d read in any book produced by someone that has a top-ranking iTunes podcast. That’s because giving up is really hard and it can make you look ridiculous. How you look doesn’t matter so much anyway.
“No one is going to slap you in the face, throw iced water on you, and tell you to focus on fewer things. No one is going to tell you to stop doing what you don’t love and that’s why you must...
Podcasting is a phenomenon that millions of people gravitate to every day for information, inspiration, and entertainment. According to convinceandconvert.com, 112 million people listened to a podcast at least once in 2017. There are many different types of podcasts that are out there to listen to, and one of the most popular formats is that of the interview podcast.
It goes without saying that an interview podcast consists of a host/hosts and a guest, typically an expert in a particular field, going back-and-forth in a question format to deliver valuable content for those listeners. As a podcast host, myself and having done hundreds of interviews, not to mention the hundreds more I’ve listened to, there are five essential elements, in my opinion, that is essential to delivering an excellent podcast interview.Here are the 5 essential elements you need to deliver a spectacular podcast interview: 1. Do Your Research
Nothing can kill an interview faster than when one party is not prepared for other, especially when that individual is the host. It is vital that you do your research on the guest you are bringing on your show, not just to produce the most value out of your podcast, but to ensure that you get the very best out of your guest as well.
Search their website, find out their most recent event, product launch, or topic they are “hot” on. Also, know what motivates them and what they...
Tom Hardy is an incredible actor. From appearing in Hollywood blockbusters such as Mad Max: Fury Road, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises; Hardy understands the value of endurance & sticking to your passion. Many people doubted him as he became an actor and his dreams of finding success. Now he has won multiple Oscars and is a respected member of the community.Here are 29 of Tom Hardy’s greatest quotes:
1. “The only thing I can do is wipe my arse, brush my teeth, turn up, and do the best work I can.” – Tom Hardy
2. “It doesn’t matter who you are. What matters is your plan.“ – Tom Hardy
3. “Love is doing something you don’t want to do for someone you don’t particularly like at that moment.“ – Tom Hardy
4. “I think it’s important that you always transform if you can. That’s what I was trained to do. You try and hide yourself as much as you can – that’s the key to longevity.“ – Tom Hardy
5. “I have a very busy head. I have inside voices that I have learned to contain.” – Tom Hardy
6. “I didn’t understand how you could do something which is so much fun and be so miserable doing it.” – Tom Hardy
7. “Fame and stuff like that is all very cool, but at the end of the day, we’re all human beings. Although what I...